Tuesday, April 10, 2007

Unexpected reaction

This afternoon Beth and I were chatting about her day at school. She was so excited about this week's theme at school, which is "puppet shows". She made a puppet out of a wooden spoon, and this creation sits proudly on our mantle. On Thursday she and her classmates are going to watch a puppet show.

Then I explained to her that next week is April vacation. "There's no school next week!", I told her. "What should we do instead?"

She stared at me in shock and disbelief. Then I watched as her eyes filled up with tears. "Vacation?!!" she cried. "Who's idea was that?! I don't want a vacation. Why would I want that? A whole week without school? That sounds like a terrible, terrible plan. I hope I never have to have a school vacation ever again. Please, can't we go anyway?"

She then dissolved into tears and wrenching sobs. I can't remember ever reacting quite that way when school vacation week came. Can you?

2 Comments:

At 7:25 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Make sure you write that down in her baby-book or get it on tape, because in 10 years, I have a feeling she might change her tune. Although it is wonderful that she loves school so much!

 
At 8:36 PM , Blogger betolisa said...

My kids are on the tail end of a two week Spring break. They are pining away for school. Today Roberto was COMPLAINING that he didn't go to school today. I hope this attitude sticks.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home