Tuesday, December 19, 2006

Sunny Days

Amy loves to draw. She can spend a full hour sitting at her craft table, producing creation after creation, using only construction paper and a few crayons. After she completes each masterpiece, she runs over to show me what she has made. Usually she draws people, so each showing is accompanied by a long, detailed description of the people she has colored. "Here's me when I'm a grownup, and I still have blond curls, only they're now a lot longer. And here's you and Daddy with Erin, when she was only a tiny baby, and here's Beth going to school".

One thing I have noticed. Each and every picture depicts a large, yellow sun at the top of the page, with long orange rays shooting out into the sky. There are never any cloudy days in her drawings.

Today I asked her about this. Why did she always draw sunshine into her pictures?

"Because sunshine makes me happy", she answered simply.

Isn't it wonderful how little children can take the time to notice and appreciate something that we adults just take for granted? If you were to stop right now, and draw a picture of yourself, would you remember to draw some sunshine?

Thanks to Amy, I would.

1 Comments:

At 6:47 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

John Denver wrote and performed a song entitled "Sunshine On My Shoulders Makes Me Happy." Amy is a poet!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home