Tuesday, January 16, 2007

Polly Pockets

Just in case you've never seen these dolls, let me describe them for you. Polly Pockets are tiny (about 3 inches long) plastic dolls, and each set comes with about 10 different outfits, made out of a stretchy, rubber material. With a great, great deal of effort and patience, it is possible to remove one outfit from the doll, and then slowly pull and stretch some new clothes onto the doll. Each kit includes miniscule boots and shoes, along with almost microscopic accessories such as bows and belts, hairdryers the size of a small carpenter ant, and combs and brushes that are almost impossible to hold because of their tiny size.

Beth received her first collection of Polly Pockets last week for her birthday. She and Amy absolutely adore them. When Amy "plays" with these dolls, it goes something like this:

She picks out a doll and brings the doll to me, and requests that I remove the current outfit.

I spend about 5 minutes attempting to pull the stubborn, rubber dress off of the doll, and then hand her back to Amy.

She picks out a new outfit.

She brings the doll back to me, and I spend another 5 minutes trying to re-dress the doll in her new pants and shirt, taking care not to get the impossibly long and mangy blond hair tangled up in the rubber shirt.

Amy begins to cry because the red shoes are the only ones that match this new outfit, but she can only find one shoe.

I crawl around on the rug, searching under chairs, beneath the computer desk, behind toys, etc. until finally the lost shoe is located.

I put the shoes onto the doll and hand it back to Amy.

Amy looks at the doll for exactly 5 seconds and then asks me to take the clothes off so that she can put a new outfit on.


Today it finally occurred to me. Amy is not playing with these dolls. I am.

But then again, isn't that what having little girls is all about?

2 Comments:

At 9:14 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Suffice it to say that "Polly Pockets" was not created by a busy Mom.

 
At 6:54 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

We have the same issues w/the teeny tiny legos...E is constantly bringing them to me to "fix" as he becomes increasingly frustrated.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home