Sunday, April 15, 2007

Library book MIA

We've lost a library book.

I remember so clearly those days long, long ago, when my mother would be tearing apart the house in a desperate search for a lost book. The type-written "overdue" notice would sit glaringly on the kitchen counter, warning us that time was up. No more renewals would be allowed, and unless the book was found and returned, we would simply have to pay the fee. All the kids out of diapers would be running around the house looking under couch cushions, in book shelves, in toy boxes, and any other possible hiding places. Sometimes a bribe would be involved. Of course the book would never be located, Mom would pay the fee, and then the book would magically appear a few weeks or months later.

Now it's my turn. Gone are the days of the type-written overdue notices, but we did get a number of emails warning us about our delinquency. The book is called "Annie Rose is my Little Sister", in case any of you have seen it around. It's clearly not anywhere in our house or car, so it must be wandering around out in the world somewhere. Please, if any of you have any idea where it may be located, send me an email. We've checked all the bookshelves, under the beds and couches, in the car, and in all the toy boxes. I'm tempted to go the library and try the "I know we already returned this book...can you please check the shelves?", but I don't think that would get us anywhere. I'm pretty sure that we did not return it, but I'm at a loss as to where it might be.

And to think they call me a librarian.

3 Comments:

At 8:52 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Last time I looked, I saw Annie Rose following her big sister down the yellow brick road.

 
At 1:57 PM , Blogger mmgavin2003 said...

I will keep an eye out for it, but I don't think I ever got the reward for finding one when I was little, and not sure I am much better at it now.

 
At 6:46 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

What memories this evokes! The fastest way to find it is to pay for the book. Then when you find it. you can humbly return to the library for a refund.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home