Saturday, March 01, 2008

Snip, Snip





All of my girls were almost completely bald at birth, and Erin and Amy didn't have much more than peach fuzz by 18 months old. However, in one of life's little ironies, Brian was born with a large shock of black hair. Everyone assured us that it would fall out, but it never did. Instead, it grew and grew, and today we decided that he needed his first haircut. I'm not sure that a barber would have appreciated having a three month old in his chair, so Dan attempted a home-haircut, and it actually came out quite adorable.

Not to be outdone by her baby brother, Erin requested to have her first haircut today, too. She's two-and-a-half now, and finally has enough hair to have a trim. So, Erin and I went off for an afternoon alone together, and above you can see the "before" picture (looking quite petrified, I think) and the "after" photos (appearing very relieved that it was all over).

I learned something new about Erin while we spent time without the other girls. I discovered that she is very L-O-U-D. I'm embarrassed to admit that I never noticed this before, but she must just blend in with our crowd. However, without the background din, her voice boomed through the hair salon.

"LOOK, MOMMY. THEY HAVE HAIR RIBBONS HERE. CAN WE GET ONE?"

And a few minutes later...

"MOMMY, I DON'T LIKE THAT BOY'S HAIRCUT AT ALL. DON'T LET THAT LADY CUT MY HAIR, OKAY?"

I spent the early part of the afternoon constantly repeating, "Shhhh, Erin", but finally I gave up. You can't teach an old dog new tricks, and Erin has clearly learned that volume is necessary in her world. So tonight, my ears may be ringing, but little Erin went to bed with an ear-to-ear smile...and tiny pig-tails, too.

1 Comments:

At 11:33 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I know what it is like having 2 older sisters. I also had to be loud, and therefore, still am! Sorry Ellen, but I think that she will be like this for the rest of your life!!!

See you all soon!
Love, Sara

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home