Saturday, September 30, 2006

Not-so-tiny tummy

Yesterday afternoon I took the girls out for a lunch date with some of my friends. If you've ever taken small children out to a public place for a meal, then surely you know how difficult it is to keep them quiet and seated in a restaurant. Over the years I've resorted to utilizing anything and everything in an attempt to have a peaceful meal. Jelly containers become building blocks, sugar packets turn into rattles, and salt shakers...well, we try to avoid those.

Sometimes, I end up using food as a distraction. Yesterday was one of those days. Because I knew we were going to a casual sub shop, I packed the girls a lunch in their favorite lunch containers, since they don't always enjoy what's on the menu. But when we arrived and they saw pizza being served, they begged for some slices. So I ordered a small cheese pizza for us to split.

While they were waiting for their meal, they decided...to eat another meal. They opened their lunch containers, as well as some small bags of chips (a rare treat, often used when peace and quiet is necessary). Here is a break-down of what my not-quite-3-year-old Amy ate, in less than one hour.

-An entire cheese sandwich (on whole-wheat bread, of course)
-a bag of potatoe chips
-A good-sized baggie of triscuits
-An apple
-A juice box
-Two (small!) slices of pizza

Then, on the way home, she ate a lollipop treat that my friend Michele gave to her.

I spent the entire drive home marvelling at the fact that someone so small could actually make that much food disappear in such a short time span. I thought that surely I would have a night off from cooking dinner. She couldn't possibly eat again for another 24 hours or so.

As we pulled in to the garage, Amy piped up from the back seat...

"Oh good, we're home. When we get inside, can I have a snack?"

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home