Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Role Reversal

Yesterday morning I awoke feeling a bit "off". My throat hurt and I felt congested, but the morning routine called, so I set out getting everyone washed, dressed and fed. I readied all the backpacks, and we headed out for the morning drop-off. After seeing Beth safely onto her bus, we headed for Amy's preschool. While waiting for the school doors to open, I began feeling somewhat chilled. By the time I kissed Amy good-bye I had a cracking headache. And by the time we arrived home ten minutes later, I felt violently ill.

I called Dan and begged him to come home, and he promised to pick up Amy at 11:15 and then head home to stay with the kids. Within half an hour, I had a 103 degree fever, hacking cough, and began vomiting. I put Brian into his swing, and luckily he fell asleep. Erin was in tears because we couldn't go to story-hour, but when I curled up on the couch in a feverish haze, she stopped crying and sprang into action.

My two-year-old cherub ran to the kitchen cabinet and found the bucket that we use for stomach bugs. "Mama, here's the spitsie bucket", she cried, handing the tupperware container to me. "Now, let me get you a blanket". She hustled about the house finding things to keep me comfortable, and then sat next to me on the couch, sucking her fingers. Every few minutes she'd look over at me and say, "Cose you eyes, Mama. Just cose you eyes and sleep. I'll watch Brian".

After a while, as I felt sicker and sicker, I decided to put Brian into his crib, and I headed up to bed. I brought Erin with me, and she ran around opening bureau drawers. "Where is you pajamas, Mommy? Let me get you pajamas". Then she sat on the edge of my bed, quietly looking at picture books, until Dan arrived. She was so proud to inform him that she "took good care of Mommy". And really, she did. I'm so proud that my toddler showed so much more empathy and understanding then I ever could have imagined possible at her age. Thanks, little Erin. Hopefully I'll be back on my feet again soon, so I can take care of you.

2 Comments:

At 9:48 AM , Blogger Tracey said...

That is just too sweet. Perhaps another nurse in the making?!:)

 
At 10:08 PM , Blogger betolisa said...

Just proves you're a great mom, where else would she have learned to be so nurturing! Hope you're feeling better.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home