Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Mommy Time

This afternoon I sat on the couch for a short while, and watched a talk show.

That might not sound like big news to any of you, and you might wonder why I consider that information to be "blog-worthy", but you must believe me when I tell you that it truly was quite monumental. I don't think that I have been able to sit and watch an afternoon talk show since...well, since Amy was born. Never, ever, do all of my children sleep in the middle of the afternoon, and even if I do manage to get some of them to read or do art projects after lunch, I can't turn on the TV. Like moths to a light bulb, my children immediately gravitate towards a television when they hear the drone of newscasters and sitcom stars.

But now, I am settling in to the Fall routine, and enjoying a wonderful thing called "afternoon preschool". I have been a bit concerned about how the girls would do attending school after lunch, especially because Erin still takes frequent naps in the afternoon. I even spent the last few weeks of summer worrying constantly about her possible meltdowns in the classroom. But today, I saw the light. I realized that, although she might become overtired and cranky at school, I won't be there. I'll be sitting quietly at home, watching a talk show, while Brian naps.

Amazing. I only watched about 20 minutes of television this afternoon, and I even felt a bit...guilty. I kept anticipating the pitter-patter of little feet running into the living room, but the house remained quiet. After watching the talk show, I folded laundry. It's amazing how quickly this task can be completed when there are not 8 other little hands trying to "help" sort the clothes (although it really is cute when they try to assist me.) I then baked some bread, and finished up with a jog on the treadmill, before waking Brian and heading back to pick up the girls from school.

Afternoon preschool. A truly wonderful thing. I miss the girls terribly while they are gone, but really, it's only two short afternoons a week.

I think I might even get some reading done on Thursday. Afternoon preschool. I highly recommend it.

2 Comments:

At 12:34 PM , Blogger Tracey said...

I know!!! I was thinking about you today as I went for my morning run w/Sarah and thought - she only has Brian for 2 afternoons - she must be LOVING it!:)

 
At 2:10 PM , Blogger Aubrey said...

P.S. You've got beautiful children!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home