Sunday, November 05, 2006

Early Mornings

Yesterday morning Erin woke up way, way too early. She is still struggling with the time change from last weekend, and she is often heard chatting away at 5:30 in the morning. Sometimes if we ignore her she will go back to sleep, so I waited for a bit to see if she would drift off to dreamland again. After a couple of minutes her babbling turned to whining. Then the whining turned to crying. The crying soon became a loud screeching. I worried that she would wake her older sisters, and a sunrise breakfast with three little girls was not an appealing thought. Since Dan was already up and heading out the door for an early meeting at work, I dragged myself out of bed to check on Erin.

I felt a little aggravated as I headed toward her room. Why couldn't she just sleep a bit later? Why did I have to get up so early? Would I ever get a good night's sleep again?

I grumpily pushed open the door and saw little Erin curled up in a ball in the corner of her crib, sobbing. She picked up her head and looked over at me. "Mama", she said, smiling through her tears. "Mama".

I picked her up and discovered that she was soaking wet. I changed her into warm, dry clothes and sat in the rocking chair to cuddle her. She put two fingers into her mouth and started to close her eyes. I kissed her head and held her close. It may be years before I get a good night's sleep again, but sometimes a good cuddle is worth getting out of bed for.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home