Wednesday, November 22, 2006

Gobble Gobble

Yesterday Beth made an adorable turkey at preschool, using a pine-cone and some feathers. She ran out of school holding her creation, and proudly explained how it was made. She didn't mention the fact that this project was accomplished without utilizing any glue, so I wasn't prepared for all of the feathers to start blowing off the turkey as we made our way through the parking lot.

Beth started to scream with frustration and anger as her turkey was plucked by the wind. I tried to grab the colorful feathers as they blew by, and promised to "fix it" when we got home. But when we arrived at the car Beth burst into tears when she noticed that the bird's head was...well...gone.

I tried to convince her that now it was a headless turkey, ready to be stuffed and eaten for Thanksgiving dinner, but that did not prove to be a successful argument. Erin was starting to fuss because her hands were so cold, and of course Amy was crying about something-or-other, so I was tempted to just bustle everyone back into the car. But I took a good look at Beth's tear-streaked face and made a decision.

We headed back to the parking lot. And there we were, searching diligently through the thousands of dried brown leaves, searching for a one-inch-long turkey head, made from brown construction paper. Friends of mine stopped their cars to ask what we were looking for.

"The turkey's head", I replied to each question. The other mothers would laugh and then roll up the windows, driving off in the warmth of their cars. We searched for a few minutes and then finally Beth and I made a joint decision. The head was gone, we were all freezing, so we would have to make a new one at home.

We trudged back up the hill and I bundled Erin and Amy into their car seats. I turned to lift Beth into the van, and she gave me a big smile through her tears. "Thanks, Mommy", she said. "I'm glad we at least tried. We'll make a better one at home".

So this Thanksgiving, I'm thankful for simple solutions to seemingly simple problems. I'm thankful for these beautiful little people that fill my days with chaos and cuddles, love and laughter. I'm thankful for a husband that supports us all in so many ways, and for the many friends and family members that surround us and make our lives richer.

Happy Thanksgiving to all.

3 Comments:

At 7:50 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for reminding me to be patient and at least try:).

 
At 9:40 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I so much felt Beth's appreciation for a Mommy who takes her seriously and "feels her pain".
Happy Thanksgiving to all!

 
At 6:02 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm sure Beth will remember your efforts, just as you remember the incident with the baking soda toothpaste. Some times it's not the big things we do for our children that are remembered. It's the love behind our actions that count to the kids.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home