Thursday, November 16, 2006

A Mother's Love

I must admit that the warm, sultry, and rainy weather we've been having in mid-November makes me somewhat cranky. I'm not sure if the girls are feeling my irritations or if they, too, are getting tired of the almost-summer-like temperatures. For whatever reason, they have been very difficult over the past few days. Today, however, was probably the hardest day we've had in awhile.

Amy in particular has been having multiple temper tantrums. Today she had a giant meltdown in the parking lot of Beth's school, forcing me to drag her, kicking and screaming, all the way up the hill to the car, while also trying to push a 20-pound baby in a carriage, carry Beth's over-stuffed backpack, balance a wet-with-paste collage that Beth had just created, and somehow keep Elizabeth on track as well. Needless to say, by the time we arrived at the car, I was exhausted and quite frazzled.

Amy and Erin both missed naps because of an event we went to this afternoon, so by the time dinner rolled around both of them were sobbing. Dan was away at a conference, so I cooked dinner with two screaming children clinging to my legs, gave baths to the tune of hysterical crying, and finally, thankfully, tucked my little darlings into bed. I then collapsed on the couch and thanked God that the day had finally ended.

But just now, I went into their rooms to check on them. Amy was sleeping so soundly. Her blond curls were plastered onto her face, and her precious stuffed "piggy" was cuddled in her arms. Beth was curled up with her favorite "Wizard of Oz" blanket on top of her. I kissed them both good-night and then went into Erin's room. She, too, was sound asleep, lying on her stomach with her bottom in the air. I covered her with a blanket and tip-toed out of the room.

When I see them sleeping so soundly, it's hard to remember why I felt so exhausted and irritated just a few hours ago. The chaos of the day, the anger and frustration with the tantrums...it all just drifts away. Seeing Amy, sleeping there so peacefully, is enough to make me forget this difficult day and look forward to greeting her in the morning. I just hope it's not TOO early in the morning.

1 Comments:

At 8:52 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I always said that God makes children so cute so that we won't give up on them.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home