Monday, April 21, 2008

Sandbox Chatter


This warm weather came upon us so quickly that we were not prepared with summer footwear for the girls. Last season's sandals are much too small to be worn now, so yesterday the girls had to attend their cousin Alyssa's second birthday party wearing their black, winter party shoes with their summer sun-dresses. So, this morning we ventured out on a shoe-shopping spree, and above you can see the "play shoes" that the girls picked out. They also each chose some white sandals, and we all had fun choosing Brian's very first pair of shoes!

This afternoon the girls donned their new shoes, and headed outside for some fun in the sandbox. Brian sat happily in his swing while the girls filled buckets and designed castles. Sandbox-play always seems to soothe them, and, except for a few minor sand-throwing incidents, they played wonderfully together. Eavesdropping on their chatter is quite enjoyable, and below is a short excerpt (Erin's quotes are all in capitals to emphasize how LOUD she is):

AMY: When we're all grown-ups together, will Brian be a grown-up too? Or will he still be really little?

BETH: (sounding exasperated) Of course he'll be a grown-up too. We're not THAT much older than him. He'll probably be bigger than us, even. Boy grown-ups are usually bigger than girl grown-ups.

ERIN: WILL I BE A GROWN-UP TOO? WILL I, BETHIE? WILL I, AMY?

BETH: Yeah.

AMY: I have gorgeous curls. Everyone says so.

BETH: Hey, I have an idea. When we're all grown-ups, let's all save up some money, and we can buy some things for each other. We'll buy each other the things that we want most of all. Okay?

AMY: Yeah!! That's a great idea! I'll save up my money and buy you a camera, Beth. A real camera that works.

BETH: Wow, that would be so cool. I'll buy you a camera, too.

ERIN: YOU BUY ME SOMETHING, TOO? I WANT BINOCULARS. I WANT BINOCULARS. I WANT BINOCULARS. HEY! NO ONE'S LISTENING TO ME. I WANT BINOCULARS.

AMY: What about Brian? What should we get him?

BETH: I know! A cell phone! All boys have cell phones when they're grown-ups.

AMY: Now I can't wait to be a grown-up!


While my vision of their future doesn't necessarily include cell phones and cameras, it's essentially the same dream. I would love nothing more than to see them stay this close as the years go by.

One day, they will be grown-ups. And, I pray that when that time comes, they will all still care this much about each other's happiness. Whether Erin needs a pair of binoculars or just someone to help her through life's struggles, I hope that her sisters and brother will always be there for her.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home