Thursday, May 08, 2008

Hugs and Kisses

This afternoon, as we walked to the bus stop, Amy fell. Deeply involved in her storytelling, she failed to notice the pothole in front of her, and she crashed down onto her knees. It took about 20 seconds for the shock factor to fade, and then the screams began. Both knees were cut and bleeding, and dirt and small pebbles clung to her legs. She ran to me for comforting, and I picked up my 35 pound four-and-a-half year old and held her close. Her tears covered my shirt, and her sobs filled my ears, while I stroked her hair and tried in vain to comfort her. Finally, I managed to distract her with the promise of a band-aid upon our arrival back at home, and after she dried her tears we continued our trek towards Beth's bus stop.

While waiting for the bus to arrive, we chatted with a friend whose daughter is also on Beth's bus. Kerry's two younger daughters were running and playing, when suddenly her two-year-old crashed to the ground. I witnessed a scene similar to the one I had just experienced with Amy, as Savannah ran to her mother for some cuddles and love, and Kerry soothed her daughter's tears with kisses and band-aid promises.

This is what Mothers do.

Sometimes I try to hold back a bit before rushing in to rescue the girls after each little injury, because I want them to learn not to become upset about every little bump and bruise. But I also know that, as Amy grows older, life's hurts and difficulties will become more difficult to "kiss away". Amy may be one of my "big kids", but she's still only four-years-old. She still needs lots of cuddles and hugs, and I hope that whenever she runs to me for help, I can remain patient and remember how traumatic such events can be when you're so small.

Tonight, Amy is tucked into bed with band-aids on both knees. And tonight, I thank God for problems that can still be resolved with a band-aid...and a few kisses and hugs, too.

1 Comments:

At 7:56 PM , Blogger betolisa said...

A perfect Mother's Day message! Happy Mother's Day, Elle!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home