Sunday, December 23, 2007

Christmas memories

Amy made a Christmas ornament at preschool last week.

On the front of the ornament is her hand print, made with sparkling glitter paint. It's accompanied by a poem about how we should treasure her hand print now, because someday she will be grown. On the back of the ornament is a picture of Amy, taken by her teacher.

She proudly hung the ornament on the tree.

Yesterday afternoon, I was sitting on the couch in the family room with Brian, while the girls watched a Christmas movie in the living room. Amy's ornament was hanging in front of me, with her smiling face looking directly at me. I found myself thinking about the ornament.

Someday, maybe 20 years from now, I will take this ornament out of a box as we decorate a Christmas tree. I'll stop and look at the picture of my four-year-old Amy, and I'll remember.

I'll remember what it felt like to pick up my four-year-old girl and cuddle her close. I'll remember what it felt like to brush her long blond curls, and put them into braids or ponytails. I'll remember what it felt like to kiss her chubby four-year-old cheeks, or tickle her and hear her four-year-old laugh.

And I imagine that a part of me will ache for the four-year-old girl that I once knew. I wonder if I will feel pangs of sadness because I will never again be able to pick up my little girl and cuddle her. I'm sure she'll be a wonderful adult by then, but still...

So after I put Brian down in his swing, I went into the living room where Amy was sitting. I picked her up and held her close. I played with her blond curls. I tickled her and enjoyed her giggles.

Because right now, she's still my little four-year-old daughter. And I'm going to enjoy these moments as much as I can.

2 Comments:

At 5:03 PM , Blogger audrey said...

Ellen,
What a beautifully written, touching entry. I often wish I could freeze time, but I guess the most we can do is appreciate it as it is passing.

 
At 10:42 AM , Blogger Aimee said...

Dear Ellen, I made that same card for my mom in kindergarden. (Sounds like it even was the same poem!) Every Christmas we took the card out and looked at together (Mom, a little teary eyed) and stuck it up somewhere in the house. Now I have it hanging in my living room for this Christmas. Mom reluctantly gave it to me the year our first baby was born to remind us of all our current--but also future--joys and love. It is a bit sentimental, but it works! And amazingly the card is still intact after all these years!
Thank you so much for your nice comment on our blog and for your thoughts and prayers. It is so good to hear from you after so many years! And I will ask if we have any New Haven questions! I hope you and your family have a wonderful New Year.
love
Aimee

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home