Tuesday, November 28, 2006

Coffee, anyone?

I'll admit it. I am a coffee addict, and have been for quite some time. I believe it all started back in those first years of working overnight shifts as a nurse. We would consume insane amounts of caffeine in an attempt to remain awake and alert throughout the night. Since then, I am physically and emotionally incapable of starting my day without two cups of flavored coffee. I sleepwalked through each of my pregnancies, when I gave up caffeine for the health of the baby, but I quickly resumed the habit after each baby was born. Sometimes, I can manage to enjoy my caffeine before the girls even wake up, giving me enough energy to face another hectic day with three little ones.

A couple of days ago a package arrived on our doorstep. The return address informed me that it was from Megan, my college roommate (and the mother of our adorable Godson). Her husband works for a coffee company, and he has treated us to some various samples in the past. The girls raced over to see what had arrived in the mail, and they gathered around as Dan opened the box.

"Oh, it's just coffee", said Beth disappointedly, as the box was opened.

Just coffee? JUST coffee? There is no such thing as "just coffee", I thought, as I gazed in wonder at the many bags of java, in various blends and flavors. I picked one up and smelled the delicious aroma. Dan and I gently removed each bag from the box and stored them all in the cabinet with care. We've been enjoying a different flavor each day this week, and look forward to waking each morning to the scent of this wonderful gift.

In fact, just writing about it is making me start daydreaming about the taste. I think I'll go brew another pot right now. Coffee, anyone?

3 Comments:

At 2:13 PM , Blogger Bears and Squirrels said...

OK... I am already addicted to coffee and now you have me addicted to blogging!!!
I wish I had started sooner-I realize how great it will be in a few years to look back at these stories.
Cara

 
At 7:07 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm glad I brought you up to enjoy the finer things in life.

 
At 8:39 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ellen and Dan, so glad you enjoyed the gift of coffee!! This was funny, me and Ryan both enjoyed the blog! I actually didn't realize the seriousness of your addiction! Glad we could help to enable you. :)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home